Sunday, March 6, 2011

Progress

We have made a lot of progress on the family room this week. It's amazing how much better I feel just having one room that looks sort of finished. I have a hard time sitting still and relaxing when my house is a mess, so when you move into a house and everything is a mess....well, let's just say I haven't sat still much lately ;)

I've got a ton of pictures here, of the room before we started doing anything, during the messy process, and after. We still have some things we want to do, so this I guess these are really more "semi-after" pictures. Who knows when we'll actually be done.

As you'll see, I still haven't painted the fireplace. But I'm going to. I think.

Here is the family room the day we closed on the house. Mauve carpet, floral wallpaper, and valances. Oh my! Everything in the house was pretty much muted tones of mauve and country blue. Those have got to be the most depressing colors in the whole world!!


The quality of these pictures is pretty crummy...I was in a hurry when I took them, and when I realized they were bad, we had already torn everything up, so I couldn't exactly go back and retake them!


Here is one....


...of the MANY valances we took out of the house. That's a lot of ruffles!


So again, here's a shot of the room the day we took possession of the house:


And here's what it looks like now:



I'd call that an improvement! We've been working like crazy on this room, and are lovin' the result! We (and by we, I mean Nate) started out by tearing up the carpet and putting in a new floor.


The wallpaper also came down, which turned out to be a nightmare. It had been applied to the bare drywall when the family room was added to the house (sometime in the 70's, we believe). So we had old, damaged, untextured drywall to contend with. We ended up having to hire people to come in and retexture the walls. A major unexpected expense, but we didn't have much choice!

I was so sad, because after we paid the bill and the painters left, the walls looked like this:



Doesn't seem like much of an improvement, but at least they were paintable!

I orinigally had different furniture in this room, and had planned to paint a turquoise accent wall, and go crazy with color. Halfway through, I changed my mind.

I did still want turquoise somewhere, however. There's a Benjamin Moore color called Drizzle that is my absolute favorite paint color in the whole world. At our last house, the dining room was painted this color. In the house we rented for a year, we had it in our bedroom.

On one end of the family room there's an office that we're using as our homeschool room. You can see a glimpse through the doorway at the end of that room, which is now painted my very favorite color.


We're still missing some trim here and there :)



Painting was quite a process. Since the drywall was old, and was newly textured, we had to coat the whole room with a clear sealer before we could paint. Painting with something clear is the most depressing job. You work ALL DAY, and it looks exactly the same when you're done as it did when you started!

We've got some tall ceilings in this room, so much of my time was spent painting trim while clutching onto a ladder for dear life!



The new floor is probably my favorite part of the room. It's amazing what a difference it makes!


Although the curtains were a pretty drastic (and much needed) change, as well!


Like I said, the fireplace is most likely going to get a coat of antique white paint. Although I like it more now then I did before!

We're excited because we've got a game table and chairs in the family room now. We love to play games and do puzzles, so I think we'll get a lot of use out of this! We ordered a new dining room table, and once it arrives, our current kitchen table will replace this lovely card table/tablecloth combo.

The chairs I purchased from a friend's blog. I've got plans to paint and recover them.


All in all, we couldn't be happier with the room! We've still got a lot of work to do, but we're making progress!

Up next? The kitchen. I don't even know where to begin!


We're planning a low- budget makeover, which means the appliances, cabinets, etc. will stay. Unfortunately, that means the blue counters will stay, also. I'll likely be painting about everything I can realistically paint. We'll see how it goes!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Awesome job on the livingroom!!! Honestly, I think the fireplace looks a TON brighter with the new flooring and your personal touch in decorating! I'm almost tempted to say, "just leave it"! I'm excited to see what the kitchen looks like when you're finished there!

Lindsay said...

Oh I just love it!!!! I've been waiting to see more pics! Way to go Linds! Miss you SO much. Hoping to be able to come visit soon though. Talk soon!

Mindy322 said...

Love it, Linds! I think you should keep the fireplace the way it is...it has character and actually looks great now that the room is done. :) Can't wait to see what you do with the kitchen!

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP