Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dining Room (Progress)

Goodbye flowered wallpaper! Goodbye painted brown trim (is it just me, or does that color look EXACTLY like band-aids?)!! We tackled another big project in the house this weekend! Actually, my mom came up a few weeks ago, and we started tearing off the wallpaper. Unfortunately, in the process, we discovered that the walls weren't actually made of drywall. It took us a while to figure it out, but we've decided that they're actually some type of flat paneling. They were covered with a wallpaper primer, but in one spot, the white primer had worn away, and you could see the lovely wood grain of the paneling. No project is ever simple :) We realized we'd have to patch, spackle, and sand almost the entire surface of the wall (it wasn't in the greatest of shape), and then texture it. We debated about hiring the texture work done, but we did that in the family room, and it cost a bundle. We decided the tackle this project ourselves, and we're so glad we did! We used this product (which you can buy at any hardware store), and it worked like a charm. It was a little on the messy side, but well worth it, considering the money we saved! And then the truly difficult part...choosing a wall color! The dining room is open to the kitchen, which has blue counters, so I wanted to make sure I chose something that worked with the blue. In the end, I decided neutral was the way to go, and ended up choosing the one on the left (Valspar: Urban Sunrise). I had painted the trim earlier in the week (Sherwin Williams: Dover). So after eight hours of taping, texturing, spraying and painting, I've got beautiful dining room walls. And crown molding!! With the molding painted "bandaid," I didn't even think about the fact that the room had crown molding...I just thought it was ugly. But now, I love it! The best part it, you'd never know the walls weren't made of drywall. They look great! Next up...painting the kitchen cupboards (they're currently the same "band-aid" color as the trim). Not sure when I'll get that done, but I'll be sure to share pictures when I do!

1 comment:

Katie Rose said...

lindsay, so much better! good job! i love the blue and the white molding. way to save some serious cash by doing it all yourselves also.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP