Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The End Begins

For the past six years, I have had the privilege and honor of singing and leading worship at our church. Nate and I joined our church family straight out of college, and I feel like we've done a lot of growing up there. It really has been like a second family for us, and the fact that we're leaving our church home is one of the parts of this move that's been really hard for me.

Sunday was my last time singing with the team, and it was more than a little bittersweet.

Our worship pastor (who is also my boss) graciously let me choose a song to sing for my last Sunday. He shared some really kind words with the congregation and publicly wished Nate and I well on the next chapter of our lives. It was really touching, and something I don't think I'll ever forget. Then, when he had me near tears, he made me sing. Needless to say, the fact that I made it through that without bawling my head off felt like a pretty big accomplishment!

The song I chose to sing was one that I have recently come to love. One of my favorite song writers is Brooke Fraser (Hillsong). A friend of mine recently shared the song "Like Incense" with me, and I immediately loved it.

Fraser took the chorus of Rich Mullins "Step by Step," and changed it a little, added some new verses. She writes the most honest, beautiful lyrics. I have always loved the simple, well known lyrics to Rich Mullins' song, and I thought the way she added to it was just perfect.

It was really special for me to be able to sing this, as the lyrics are kind of what I'm praying right now. God, keep my pride upon it's knees. Let my life be a sacrifice. May Your word be my joy, and may I follow You all of my days.

Standing up and singing this song in front of my church family, the family that has stood by Nate and I and lived in community with us for six great years, was really the first moment that it hit me. We're actually leaving. And I'm sad about that.

If you haven't heard this song before, take a moment to listen. It's absolutely beautiful.

Like Incense (Sometimes by Step)

May my prayer like incense rise before You
The lifting of my hands a sacrifice
Oh, Lord Jesus, turn Your eyes upon me
For I know there is mercy in Your sight

Your statutes are my heritage forever
My heart is set on keeping Your decrees
Please still my anxious urge toward rebellion
Let love keep my will upon its knees

Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You

To all creation I can see a limit
But Your commands are boundless and have none
So Your word is my joy and meditation
From the rising to the setting of the sun

All Your ways are loving and are faithful
The road is narrow but Your burden light
Because You gladly lean to lead the humble
I will gladly kneel to leave my pride

Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You

I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your ways
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days


3 comments:

Janel said...

Beautiful song. I am so sad that we missed you singing it. I probably would have cried through most of it as well. I am so excited that we will have the next three weekends to hang out plus two girls nights out as well!

Ben Robie said...

1. I can't wait to hang out on the two girls nights...thanks for letting me know about them Janel :)

2. Brooke Fraser is simply the best song writer ever...and has an amazing voice.

3. My stuck on Lord of Lords right now.

4. I love lists.

Leah said...

Went to see Brooke play a few months ago--lovely stuff. Wish I could have heard you sing!

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP