Thursday, October 7, 2010

This Is a Problem

I love to read.

Like, really, really, love to read.

As a kid, I was one who would sit inside on a beautiful sunny day to read a book, while all the other kids were playing kickball.

I’m kind of a nerd like that.

I started college thinking I wanted to be an English teacher. Problem was, I just wanted to read books and talk about them with people. When it dawned on me that I’d actually have to have a classroom full of naughty students, I decided teaching might not be for me. I got an English lit minor, just for fun. It hasn’t really done me a whole lotta good in my adult life.

While we had baby B, I kind of took a hiatus from reading. I took a hiatus from quite a few things while we had the baby (cleaning, cooking, exercising…) It’s funny how having a baby can do that to you.

But since Baby B went home, and school’s back in session, I’ve found I have a little “spare” time on my hands. And since I still don’t have any desire to clean, cook or exercise, I’m filling some of that extra time with reading.

The problem is, I’m kind of in that “feast after the famine” stage. It started out innocently enough, but I realized this morning I am currently attempting to read NINE different books. At the same time. Yes, you heard that right. NINE.

And I wonder why I can’t focus on anything for long.

All of a sudden, I’ve noticed all these books that look interesting. Or pertinent to my life. And I’ve borrowed them, checked them out at the library, even purchased one (I rarely purchase books). And I’ve brought them home and read the first chapter. And then found another book that looked interesting. And read the first chapter of that one. And now I’m stuck with NINE books.

This might be a problem.

I’m in a book club, and finally decided this morning that I should sit down and read our current selection. The problem is, we’re not quite sure when we’re meeting to talk about it. A book club is a great idea, but ours is pretty fluid. It’s a bunch of friends who figured that getting together to discuss a book once a month was a great excuse for a night out and a good glass of wine. Sometimes we talk about the book. Sometimes we don’t. Some months we meet. Some months we don’t. Just depends.

Our fluid approach to book club pretty much mirrors my fluid approach to reading.

What mood am I in today?

What do I want to learn about today?

Maybe I’d rather watch TV today?

And alas, I’m in the middle of NINE books, with no end on the horizon.

So I’m committing, in writing, today, to finish at least a few of these books. I bet some of them are really good. I bet I could learn something.

So I better quit writing this…I’ve got some reading to do.



In case you’re interested, here is the current list of books I’m attempting to read. Think I can get them all done by Christmas? We're driving to Colorado next week, so hopefully I can knock a few off the list!

The Explosive Child (Ross Greene)
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (Barbara Kingsolver)
Vintage Church (Mark Driscoll)
Shepherding a Child’s Heart (Tedd Tripp)
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Steig Larsson)
It’s Easier to Reach Heaven than the End of the Street (Emma Williams)
Faithful Place (Tana French)
Moonlight Becomes You (Mary Higgins Clark)
Radical (David Platt)


Anyone have any others to recommend?

4 comments:

Leah said...

Hi Lindsay, this is Leah... old Salt music team girl? It's okay if you don't remember me. :) I just wanted to say that I'd put Shepherding a Child's heart pretty high on that list. We read it and will probably need to re-read it every year for the rest of our lives as parents.

p.s. I wish I shared your love of reading. We actually listened to that book via audiobook, the author narrated it himself.

p.p.s. here's my blog if want a picture clue of who I am. http://seydelscoop.wordpress.com/

Heather Gaither said...

Gosh Linds! You've given me the bug. Shepherding is a great read...but I need to freshen up. Tattoo book has been on my "should" for a while now, since I've heard so much about it. Mary Higgins has never written an un-entertaining book...Wow, that's a tough list! Let me know which one you end up finishing first!

Jen said...

Hey Lindsay - Thanks for posting on my blog. I'm glad you found my last post meeting you right where you are at. I knew you guys were foster parents, but I haven't kept up lately so I didn't know your current situation. First of all, Macieo is SO CUTE and I love his name. Second, as you probably know, I'm about to be a mom to 6 & 7 year olds, so I'm feeling at home with you!! Third (I should have just emailed you!), I just finished reading your post about giving your baby back to his bio mom and the tears are flowing. WOW. I hear people say all the time, "I could never do that," and it frustrates me so badly. While it has to be the HARDEST thing, this whole foster/adoption thing is not about us as parents anymore but about the kids and what is best for them. I love that you totally get that! I'm so encouraged and inspired by your willingness to love that little baby like your own for many months only to give him back. I can't imagine the pain you must still feel. Okay, I could go on and on. I'm sure you and I would have a ton to talk about if we could ever sit down and drink coffee together. :) Maybe someday. Until then, keep pressing on. I'm so encouraged by you. And P.S. I had just been thinking about you because some friends (including Kelly Fischer) and I ate at The Cafe on Tuesday night and your brother was our server!

Angela said...

I'm not sure why I have only just now discovered your blog; but after reading your most recent post, I saw this one and was intrigued by the title. I can totally relate to this post! I actually did a very similar post on my blog recently, and at the end of it I listed some of the books that I would like to read in the upcoming year. Feel free to take a look! :-) http://angela.eternaloutlook.com/2010/11/re-enter-reading.html

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP