Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stuff-itis

I have a disease.

It's called stuff-itis.

I don't know when I got it, but I think I've had it longer than I'd like to admit.

I'm ready to face it.

I'd like to recover.

Does anyone else out there know what I'm talking about?

So here the situation we find ourselves in these days...

A year ago, we felt like we had outgrown our 2-bedroom townhome. My hat's off to my friends who have lived in their little townhomes with one, two, even three kids (you know who you are!). But I just couldn't do it. With the addition of a seven year old who is ALL BOY, our two bedroom townhome with no yard quickly felt too small.

Of course, this was when the market tanked, so we weren't able to sell it.

Luckily, we were able to work out a great deal with some people we knew who had a house that was on the market. We rented our townhome out to a really sweet young couple, and then we ourselves rented our friends house which had a big yard and a lot more room.

Fast forward one year.

Our renters are moving out. We need to sell the townhome. The people that own the home we are renting (and currently living in) need to sell their house.

Enter numerous realtors.

Commence open housing.

Hello stress.

In two months, we have no idea where we'll be living.

I realize, in the grand scheme of the world, that this is not a big deal. My family is happy, healthy, and have the oh-so-terrible problem of having TOO MANY houses, instead of the actual problem of having no where to live. But in my paradigm, this has caused a lot stress.

We're hoping that both houses sell quickly, so we can find another house to actually purchase, move into, and live in forever and ever. Once I move again, I'm never leaving. I've decided one house is more than enough.

So, to make a short story long, we're getting ready to pack boxes, and are trying to clean up this house for an upcoming open house. And all of this has caused me to ask myself one question, over and over.

Where did all this STUFF come from!?!

We went from a two bedroom townhome to a huge four bedroom house, and in the course of one short year, I've managed to fill every last nook and cranny.

I have a love/hate relationship with Craigslist. It's kind of like a drug. I just can't stop buying reasonably priced second-hand stuff.

So my goal, over the next week, if to get rid of stuff that I don't use. This is hard, as I tend to get emotionally attached to my stuff. My parents always joked about this with me as a kid. I was always the one with the biggest suitcase when we went on trips. I just could never go anywhere without my "stuff."

Now, my stuff is taking over my life.

So next week, I'm having a garage sale. And getting rid of the stuff. I'm turning over a new leaf. Because really, if I haven't used it in a year, I probably don't need it.

If I haven't worn it in a year, I probably won't wear it again.

And really, it's not the stuff that matters. It's the people I buy the stuff for. And I'm pretty sure they'll be okay without it, too.

So if you're around next weekend, stop on by. You might just find some stuff you can't live without.

Here's to clearing out the clutter and facing the unknown future with a lighter load :)

1 comment:

Leah said...

If I were in Iowa, I would be at your garage sale, reappropriating your old stuff to be my new stuff...because, while I am not addicted to Craigslist, I do have a questionable (ok, my husband would say decidedly unhealthy) relationship with thrift stores, garage sales, and perfectly good items left on the sidewalk for "garbage" day. Sigh.
I did a thought experiment the other day and decided that if it all had to go, I would want to keep a) a Bible, b) Moby Dick, and c) my cowboy boots. Even those boots could go, really...I'd just need a good book and The Good Book and I'd be fine.
Now if I can only remember that next time I'm at el thrift store...
Good luck getting rid of STUFF!

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP