Monday, December 21, 2009

Teacher Gifts


This year, I was stumped as to what to give Macieo's teachers for Christmas. There's a silly Iowa law that states that government employees cannot accept any gift worth over $1.99. That includes teachers. I doubt this is very closely monitored, but it kind of eliminated gift cards and the like.

What on earth can you buy for less than $1.99?

So I decided to go the homemade route. Candied Pecans are my gift of choice this year.

Granted, I probably spent more than $1.99 on ingredients and jars, but no one will every prove it :)


Candied Pecans


1 large egg white
1/2 T. water
1/4 t. vanilla extract
1/2 C. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
2 C. pecan halves

Preheat oven to 300. Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray the foil with nonstick spray. Whisk egg white, water and vanilla in a lage bowl until foamy. Add pecans to bowl, and stir until pecans are coated.

In a large ziplock bag, mix sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer pecans from bowl to bag. Seal bag, and shake well, until pecans are coated.

Spread pecans on baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once.

Let pecans cool completely, then package and share!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Scott was just talking about those...I can make them now that I have a recipe. Thanks!

Kiki said...

I made candied almonds for teacher gifts! And blogged about it. Too funny!

They look really cute in the jars.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP