Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My, How Things Have Changed

I was asked an interesting question the other day when I mentioned I had a blog.

"Why? What's the point of a blog?"

At the time, I kind of blew it off, but now I can't seem to get it out of my head.

What is the point of this blog? Why did I start it in the first place?

Truth be told, I started it because my friend Nealy told me I should. And I'm super susceptible to peer pressure, so I really had no choice. She said it would be fun.

Back then, life looked a little different. I was a full time supervisor at a bank. I lived in a townhome with a postage stamp sized lawn, and other than my little dog, I wasn't responsible for much outside of myself. On the weekends, my husband and I spent long, luxurious evenings dining at our favorite restaurants. I took a lot of bubble baths.

My, how things have changed.

Today, I'm a full-time mom to a six-year old. I work part-time at our church. I live in a large, hundred year old house with a sprawling lawn and a garden that desperately needs weeding. We hardly ever eat at restaurants that don't have chicken nuggets and fries on the menu. Actually we hardly ever eat at any restaurants, because we're saving up money for exciting things like a snow blower, and a washing machine that actually works.

My, how things have changed.

So I started thinking about the reason I blog now, as compared to then. I've found lately that I'm becoming quite addicted to other blogs. We don't watch much TV 'round here (unless you count M's almost daily viewing of "Duck Tales: The Treasure of the Lost Lamp"), so for entertainment, I tend to surf blogs instead of channels. I've got a few favorites that I read on an almost daily basis.

I love to read how other moms are coping because, to be honest, this job is a lot of work. It gives me a certain sense of sanity to know that I am not alone. Take for instance last week. In the course of an hour, I gave no less than three time outs to my son, got distracted from cooking dinner by the fact that my dog was puking on my new carpet, and then forgot to turn the burner off when I went to clean it up. Sick dog, angry child, burned dinner. Not a great hour.

So it's nice to know that out there in the blogsphere there are other moms who can relate. Other moms who had a really crummy hour, and shared it on there blog. It helps to gain some perspective. And to laugh about it.

So today, I blog as an outlet. I blog as a way to record what's happening in our life right now, because I know one day I'll look back and feel like this time in my life just flew right by.

Hopefully it's not boring. Hopefully it makes people laugh. Hopefully it encourages someone else out there who's having a terrible hour. At the very least, hopefully it helps someone else to know that they are not alone if they haven't showered in three days and are still wearing the same jeans they had on yesterday.

So you may see a few changes around here. I'm playing with the layout. I'm campaigning to get a new camera (birthday gift, anyone?) so I can start taking some better pictures to include. And I hope to find a more specific voice, one that's honest, sarcatic, creative, and maybe just a little bit sentimental ('cause hey, that's kinda just how I am.)

So stay tuned. Thing 'round here are changing.

2 comments:

Shelene said...

I love it, Lindsay! That's my take on blogging too, and it is always refreshing to glean ideas and a sense of camaraderie from other bloggin' mamas around the globe. Enjoy your new outlet!

Mrs. Alsbury said...

so fun! i love reading about your family-and congratulations on the adoption! hooray!

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP