Thursday, May 21, 2009

This Old House

It's official. We've moved!

And I'm living in what is pretty close to my dream house.

For the past four years, we've been living in a townhome. It was wonderful, and we were thankful, but after a year or two, it felt crowded. No yard, no room to roam, not a lot of privacy. And with the addition of M to our family (which is getting closer to being a permanant thing...I'll post more on that later) we quickly felt the "smallness" of the space.

I've always wanted to live in an old house, but they are few and far between in the fast-growing city of Ankeny. We'd toyed with the idea of moving to DM, where we probably could have found what we wanted, but we're so connected to our community here in Ankeny that we didn't want to leave.

I was convinced we would never find our "dream house" in Ankeny.

I was wrong.

Through a variety of circumstances, without being able to sell our townhome, in a town with very few old houses, God has led us to what is, for us, the perfect house.

As I sit here and type this, I'm surrounded by open windows. I can hear the breeze blowing through the huge old trees in the yard. I'm dirty and tired from the afternoon I spent weeding in our garden, among the blooming flowers (most of which I don't even know the name of!)

Nate is on the porch, playing a card game with a few buddies who are visiting. M is sound asleep upstairs in his room. And I'm just sitting here, feeling pretty overwhelmed by the undeserved blessings God has given my family.

I'm quickly learning the quirks of an old house. We share this space with a large number of eight-legged creatures. We turned on the water to our fridge and had a mini-flood in the kitchen the other day. My upstairs shower currently only puts out freezing cold water. I found a dead bat in our basement. There is one closet in the entire house. ONE. For most people, this would not be perfect.

But we've got gorgeous, hundred year old woodwork, and big old trees that leave our house in cool shade for most of the day. We've got nooks and crannies and built ins, some with names written inside them from kids who lived here before us. We have a swingset in the backyard, and tons of kids in the neighborhood, and M's bedroom has a little door to a "secret" crawlspace that I know will provide him with tons of fun on rainy afternoons.

This is the kind of home, the kind of neighborhood, I want my kids to grow up in. After a year full of surprises and transition, I feel like we've finally landed at a place that can truly be a home.

I'm hoping to get some photos of the plants in the yard, because some of them are pretty amazing. And there's a good chance that with me in charge, they won't live to see the end of summer, so photographic evidence of their existance would be good. :)

So stay tuned for photos. And seriously, stop by any time. We'd love to have you!

3 comments:

Bambina Babe said...

Pictures!!!!

and...CONGRATULATIONS! Can't wait to visit!

Shelene said...

That sounds amazing, Lindsay, and charming old houses are so special. :)

I'm so happy for you... God does provide!

Kate said...

Yay for old houses! I'm having fun catching up on your life...it's changed!!! So happy for you guys.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP