Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Not On My 'To-Do' List

I am a planner. I like to be in control. It's an issue I'm working on, but not one that is easy to let go of. Lately, however, my life has felt very "out of control." And that's a good thing.

I usually make a general plan for my week, and can find myself frustrated if that plan doesn't work out. The fact that I know am pretty much adhering to a six-year-olds schedule means my plans have all gone out the window.

For instance, right now, I am attending my first ever "Chicken Little Party." Preparation for this party consisted of making decorations (funny little drawings on white paper), cutting them out, hiding them (M did this) and finding them (this was my part). Once they were all accounted for, we took them over the the couch with a bowl of popcorn and popped in the movie "Chicken Little." Voila. A Chicken Little Party.

This was not one of the things on my to-do list when I got up this morning :)


Here is a list of things I did this week that were not "planned."


-I purchased Transformers Valentine's Day cards, and was excited about it.
-I played 17 games of Chutes & Ladders
-I watched Madagascar 2: Escape to Africa FOUR times
-I read 6 different Berenstain Bear books
-I purchased items with brand names like "Nerf" and "Hot Wheels"
-I made chicken nuggets for dinner. Twice.
-I went to a parent/teacher conference.
-I made four trips to the doctor (two of them to urgent care).
-I learned what "influenza A" was.
-I woke up at 6:00 AM on a Saturday.
-I got wilted pink flowers and a beautiful hand-drawn card for Valentine's Day.
-I was given a bear that plays the song "Happy Birthday," (it's not my birthday, and this was actually a Valentine's Day gift. It's the thought that counts!)
-I was told I 'sing like a beautiful princess' and am 'the best cooker ever.'
-I was sick and was given a dot-to-dot book and a Tinkerbell Valentine to help me feel better. It actually worked.
-I had a conversation about how we can't eat just candy for every meal.
-I endured my first tantrum.
-I gave my first time-out.
-I used the phrase "I'm going to count to three..."
-I was told I was nice, and it was the best compliment I've ever gotten.
-I built a fort.
-I realized I'm becoming my mother, and I'm okay with that.
-I went swimming (putting on a swimsuit in February was NOT my idea!)

It's been a whirlwind, and I'm excited to see what tomorrow will bring!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun and learning lots of new things! I'm so eager to hear about your new adventures with M and about this new experience!! You're doing great!

Marti said...

Well, 'M' is right. You do sing like a princess and you are super nice. But, it sounds so much better coming from the lips of a child. Enjoy each moment. You're right too...you are becoming a mommy!

Shelene said...

You are becoming such a great mom - M is one lucky boy to have you and Nate. Compliments from a child are so sweet. :) It sounds like you, and M, have been given quite a special gift in each other.

Lanzens Life said...

Linds, that's so cute! You sound like an awesome mommy. =)

Let's chat soon... I'll give you a call sometime.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP