Sunday, December 14, 2008

Watch out, Martha Stewart!

Despite the fact that I love to cook, I do have one serious shortcoming. I don't love to bake. I'm just not great at it. Often, my creations are either overdone, or undercooked. It never looks as pretty as the picture (I made the world's most-delicious-yet-ugliest blueberry tart this summer). I find the whole experience frustrating.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth (other than for chocolate, which I can buy at the store) so my lack of baking skills isn't a big deal. I can live without cake. I can live without cookies.


But, it's Christmas, and I'm constantly blessed by friends and neighbors who are coming to my home or office and dropping off delicious homemade treats. I want to return the favor, but am too scared to try my hand at the traditional fudge or peanut brittle (anything that requires a candy thermometer makes me especially nervous).


I was reading a magazine the other day when I found my solution. Truffles. They don't actually require baking. And they're chocolate. And kind of fancy. My neighbors might actually be impressed. Perfect.


So today, I made my first batch of truffles, and am happy to say they turned out quite nicely. They were delicious AND beautiful. Maybe I'm not a lost cause after all!





















Truffles


8 oz. milk chocolate (I used Ghiradelli)
8 oz. dark chocolate (I used Green & Black 70% cocoa dark)
3/4 C. heavy cream
4 T. butter
pinch of salt


Simmer cream in a saucepan until hot (do not boil). Stir in butter and salt
.
Coarsely chop chocolate, and add to cream/butter mixture. Stir until melted.

Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for at least three hours, until chocolate is firm.

Scoop out and roll into one inch balls.


You can add different things to the truffles. I separated mine into three batches before I put it into the fridge:


Batch #1: I kept the ganache plain, and rolled them in finely shaved white chocolate.
Batch #2: I added a little peppermint extract and rolled them in crushed peppermint candies.
Batch #3: I added instand coffee granules and rolled them in a mixture of cocoa powder and powdered sugar.


You can also add Bailey's, cardamom, cinnamon, raspberry preserveres...be creative, pretty much everything is good with chocolate!

5 comments:

Lanzens Life said...

YUM...these look awesome! I've always wondered how they make these kind of truffles. Thanks for the recipe!!!

Jessica Pennings said...

Those look so good, but so dangerous. I hear you on baking!

Shelene said...

Those look delicious - I may have to be daring and try that out!!! :)

I miss seeing you at the Y. I hope you're having a great holiday season... stay safe and warm!

Take care :)

Janel said...

Absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Marcus, Rebecca, Chase, and Madelyn said...

OMG! I made these and they are so good. Everyone loves them! I even got a little more daring with the flavors and used Lindt's Cherry Chili Dark Chocolate. The guys all seem to love it, but not the women so much! I also tried them with a bittersweet chocolate coating - which worked well for the crunchy outside truffle affect! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!!!

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP